Monday, January 18, 2010

Wrapping up the NMPA Convention

Just finished up at the NMPA Awards dinner in Charlotte, N.C. It was great to see so many good friends and talented journalists and photographers honored at this event. It is certainly something I look forward to attending each year as it signifies the unofficial start of the upcoming NASCAR season.

This year's event was particularly special because 2009 was such a rough year for the motorsports industry. Last year saw many folks lose their jobs or move to new publications because of budget cuts and of course we lost longtime NASCAR beat writer David Poole. One of the highlights of tonight's program was when David's wife Katy was called to the podium to accept awards on his behalf.

Tomorrow I will be heading back to the Pee Dee in South Carolina because I have a press conference to attend on Tuesday. Last week the ABC show Extreme Make Over: Home Edition was in Loris to surprise a local family with a new house. The family members are avid NASCAR fans and Jeff Gordon was the surprise celebrity builder on the build. On Tuesday I will be representing Darlington Raceway along with track President Chris Browning at the wrap press conference for the show. We will be making a pretty cool donation to the family that includes lifetime tickets for the Southern 500. I am really looking forward to attending the press conference before coming back to Charlotte to finish out the week in meetings.

While all of this is pretty exciting I would have to say that the true highlight of the upcoming week for me will be seeing Jerry Seinfeld in Charlotte next Friday night!

I am a huge Seinfeld fan and can’t wait to get to the show. Last night when I got in bed I had a bit of a Seinfeld moment wondering why in the world they tuck in the bed sheets so tightly on hotel beds……Can anyone answer that? Anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment